Valid for: 2020/21
Decided by: PLED ID
Date of Decision: 2020-02-18
Main field: Industrial Design.
Compulsory for: MID1
Language of instruction: The course will be given in English
3D modelling and rendering is an essential part of many contemporary industrial design processes. Upon completion of the course, students shall have revisited and updated their 3D skills and be confident to independently translate their design intent, using software, into 3D forms for design development and presentation purposes.
Knowledge and understanding
For a passing grade the student must
Revisit the fundamentals of 3D surface modelling and rendering through learning and practicing typical 3D surface modelling and rendering workflows.
- Mastering software user interfaces, i.e. menus, windows and
- The 3D worldspace; history and the principles of NURBS geometry, i.e. points, curves and surfaces
- Capturing the design intent by constructing and manipulating 3D points, lines and curves through points in 3D worldspace as prerequisite for simple quality surfaces
- Constructing and modifying surfaces to accurately describe objects through re-modelling a simple and a complex object
- Rendering finished objects in a photorealistic manner through texturing and lighting; i.e. mapping of image files and use of high dynamic range images
- Outputting basic data for use in other software and rapid prototyping equipment
The course consists of group lectures, complemented by individual supervision.
Grading scale: UG - (U,G) - (Fail, Pass)
Assessment: 80 % attendance required. The assessment is based on the documentation of the individual assignments.
The examiner, in consultation with Disability Support Services, may deviate from the regular form of examination in order to provide a permanently disabled student with a form of examination equivalent to that of a student without a disability.
The number of participants is limited to: No
The course overlaps following course/s: IDEN20
Course coordinator: Andreas Hopf, email@example.com
Course homepage: http://www.ide.lth.se
Further information: The course includes group discussions and reviews. Individual work is done under supervision.