Projektering avseende energi, luft och fukt i nya byggnader
Design concerning Energy, Air Movements and Moisture in New Buildings
VBFN10, 7,5 credits, A (Second Cycle)
Valid for: 2019/20
Decided by: PLED V
Date of Decision: 2019-04-01
Elective for: V4-hb, V4-bf
Language of instruction: The course will be given in Swedish
To give the student a basic capability to evaluate and choose
building technology and building services in a constructive and
critical manner to fulfil the functional demands when new buildings
To give the student knowledge to create buildings which fulfil
demands from society and clients concerning energy requirements,
moisture safety, thermal comfort, healthy indoor environment while
reducing the environemental impact.
Knowledge and understanding
For a passing grade the student must
- be able to analyse the functioning demands for different kinds
of buildings and activities on basis of human health,
comfort, needs and building physics.
- be able to use analytical and numerical calculation methods
when designing building components and buildings to work as well as
separate units as a system.
- from a holistic point of view be able to design and construct
a sustainable building composed of interacting components of
different building techniques, building materials, building
services, automatic control and the user.
Competences and skills
For a passing grade the student must
- be able to apply calculation methods, simple as well as
advanced, concerning moisture safety, thermal bridges, power and
energy requirement for heating and cooling, energy absorbing
ability, flow control and distribution in pipes and ducts, active
heat capacity and how this is influenced by different boundary
conditions, convection and heat- and moisture balances.
- be able to orally and in written describe, discuss and evaluate
different technical solutions.
- choose and handle known computer programs to solve partial
problems and know the programs range of application and
restrictions and how to interpret and present results.
- Different kinds of heat transfer and how it affects
- Theory for interchange of heat including thermal calculations,
flow arrangements and temperature efficiency.
- Heating systems including pressure and flow distribution and
- Manual and numerical moisture calculations including moisture
criteria, critical moisture state, impact of moisture on energy
consumption, moisture transport, moisture balance, surface
condensation, moisture convection and moisture diffusion.
- Analytic models for manual calculation concerning power,
energy requirement and temperature distribution
- Energy balance calculation with computer programs including
influence from advanced thermal bridges.
- Component design and dimension for actual solutions.
Grading scale: TH - (U,3,4,5) - (Fail, Three, Four, Five)
Assessment: Written examination with a theoretical part and a calculation part. To pass the course the students also must complete and pass the project exercise, do laboratory work and computer exercises. A well done project exercise can raise the final grade.
The examiner, in consultation with Disability Support Services, may deviate from the regular form of examination in order to provide a permanently disabled student with a form of examination equivalent to that of a student without a disability.
Code: 0111. Name: Written Examination.
Credits: 5. Grading scale: TH. Assessment: Written examination with a theoretical part and a calculation part. Contents: The entire course.
Code: 0211. Name: Handing in Excercises.
Credits: 2,5. Grading scale: TH. Assessment: Approved written report and oral presentation of project exercise and oppose. Approved computer and laboratory exercises. Contents: Construction and analyses of a office building concerning thermal indoor climate, heating system, ventilation system and moisture safety.
Required prior knowledge: VBFF01 Energy efficiency and indoor environment, VBFN05 Energy, Air Movements and Moisture at Rebuilding and Administration.
The number of participants is limited to: No
The course overlaps following course/s: VBF050
- L Jensen: Värmeväxling. Avd. för Installationsteknik, 2007.
- L Jensen: Injustering. Avd. för Installationsteknik.
- Arfvidsson J, Harderup L-E, Samuelson I: Fukthandbok, Praktik och teori. Svensk Byggtjänst, 2017, ISBN: 978-91-7333-823-3.
Contact and other information
Course coordinator: Birgitta Nordquist, Birgitta.Nordquist@hvac.lth.se
Teacher: Lars-Erik Harderup, email@example.com
Course coordinator: Stephen Burke, firstname.lastname@example.org
Course homepage: https://liveatlund.lu.se