VBF605, 6 credits, G2 (First Cycle)
Valid for: 2016/17
Decided by: Education Board D
Date of Decision: 2016-04-08
Compulsory for: IBYA2
Language of instruction: The course will be given in Swedish
- have general knowledge about how to design single-family
- have basic knowledge about different building components and
how to combine them into a healthy
- and energy-efficient building
- have basic knowledge about heat- and moisture transport in a
- be able to identify and solve different building physics
Knowledge and understanding
For a passing grade the student must
- Understand how to combine building materials into a well
functioning building component from a heat and moisture point of
- Identify all parts in an energy balance.
- Quantitatively be able to evaluate the moisture safety for a
Competences and skills
For a passing grade the student must
- Design building components for a single-family house and join
them together to form a functioning building regarding energy
application and moisture proofing.
- Apply available knowledge in CAD.
- Apply knowledge from the course VBF630 to design buildings that
fulfil minimum demands in the Swedish Building code concerning
- Skills in using theories concerning moisture transport through
building components. Have the capability to choose appropriate
values for boundary conditions and material data. Be able to
quantitatively estimate building components and ordinary buildings
from a moisture safety point of view.
Basic building physics concerning heat-and moisture transport
through materials and building elements. Calculations of moisture-
and temperature conditions in building elements to create moisture
proof and energy-efficient buildings. Building physical design of
the building envelope, roofs, foundations and external walls.
Information about methodology for moisture design, critical
moisture conditions and healthy buildings.
In order to learn which parts are of importance, stationary
energy- and moisture balances are established.
The project exercise is a fundamental element in the course,
where the coupling between building envelope, combination of
materials, control point system and nonloadbearing partitions are
dealt with. The final results from the exercise are elementary
building documents and CAD-drawings.
Grading scale: TH
Assessment: Written examination with a theoretical and a calculation part. To pass the course the students also must fulfil and pass the project exercise. A well accomplished project exercise can raise the final grade a maximum of half a step.
Code: 0111. Name: Assignment.
Credits: 2. Grading scale: UG. Assessment: The project must contain correctly described and drawn components of a single family house. Contents: The assignment must contain 5 parts. It must contain u-value calculations, foundation description, wall description, roof description and a section of the single family house putting att the components together correctly.
Code: 0211. Name: Examination.
Credits: 4. Grading scale: TH. Assessment: A written exam with two parts, theory and calculation parts. Contents: A written exam with two parts, theory and calculation parts.
Required prior knowledge: VBF630 Building Technology.
The number of participants is limited to: No
- Sandin, K: Praktisk husbyggnadsteknik. Studentlitteratur , 2007, ISBN: 9789144048796.
- Sandin, K: Praktisk byggnadsfysik. Studentlitteratur, 2010, ISBN: 9789144059914.
- Sandin, K: Praktisk byggnadsfysik, Övningsbok. Studentlitteratur , 2010, ISBN: 9789144059891.
- Fukthandbok, Praktik och teori. Svensk Byggtjänst, 2016.
- Harderup L-E: Övningsuppgifter med lösningar till Fukthandbok.
- Harderup L-E: Formelsamling till Fukthandbok. 2005.
- Nevander, Elmarsson: Fukthandbok, Praktik och Teori. Svensk Byggtjänst, 2006.
Contact and other information
Course coordinator: Petter Wallentén, email@example.com
Course homepage: http://www.byfy.lth.se
Further information: The project exercise runs all through the courses VBF605 and ABK606.