Termodynamik med strömningslära
Thermodynamics and Fluid Mechanics, Basic Course
MMVA01, 5 credits, G1 (First Cycle)
Valid for: 2015/16
Decided by: Education Board E
Date of Decision: 2015-04-13
Compulsory for: BI2
Language of instruction: The course will be given in Swedish
The purpose of the course is that the student should achieve
basic knowledge and skills in technical (engineering)
thermodynamics and fluid mechanics.
Knowledge and understanding
For a passing grade the student must
- be able to define and/or clarify in short certain basic
concepts, principles and phenomena in thermodynamics and fluid
- be able to describe shortly and generally formulate the basic
relations considering properties of pure substances, mass and
energy conservation, entropy generation and momentum balance, with
a basic understanding of their limitations and applicability
- be able to account for and derive certain technical important
relations, from basic relations, within the scope of the
- be able to shortly describe, clarify and analyse certain
thermodynamic processes of technical importance
Competences and skills
For a passing grade the student must
- be able to demonstrate a good engineering handling practice of
property tables and diagrams and to be able to solve, in a
systematic manner, basic energy- and fluid-related problems
- be able to apply control volume analysis to the balances of
mass, energy and linear momentum, for stationary flow with
homogeneous in- and outlets
- be able to accomplish a basic fluid mechanical analysis of
single pipe systems at stationary incompressible flow
- be able to produce communication on problem-solving, in
written, that is well-structured and illustrative, with clear
references to external sources, attention to limitations and
accuracy, and which demonstrate understanding of the subject
Basic concepts of thermodynamics such as temperature, heat,
work, energy, entropy, and the basic laws of thermodynamics
(primarily the first and second), including applications;
properties of pure substances; thermodynamic properties; property
diagrams; basic thermodynamic relations. Basic concepts of fluid
mechanics; the continuity equation; the Navier-Stokes equations;
the extended Bernoulli equation (the energy equation); the linear
momentum equation; similarity laws; flow around bodies; laminar och
turbulent pipe flow.
Grading scale: TH
Assessment: The examination consists of a compulsory exercise, a theory test (60 min; thermodynamics, no means of assistance) and a written final test (5 hours), which contains a theory part (fluid mechanics, no means of assistance) and a problem-solving part (with aids of assistance, e.g. formula and table collections, lecture notes without solved examples). Optional home exercises may provide extra points to add to the final written test. The final grade is determined, from a total sum of points from both the short theory test and the final written examination, using a special formula.
Required prior knowledge: FMAA05 Calculus in One Variable; FAFA30 Physics: Electricity - Fluids; VSMA15 Mechanics, Basic Course.
The number of participants is limited to: No
- Çengel, Y. A., Turner, R. H., Cimbala, J. M.: Fundamentals of Thermal-Fluid Sciences, Fourth Edition in SI Units. McGraw-Hill, 2012, ISBN: 978-007-132511-0.
- Eriksson, D., Norberg, C.: Kompendium i grundläggande strömningslära. Energivetenskaper, LTH, 2013, Trycks av KFS AB; även tillgänglig via kursens hemsida (lösenord).
Contact and other information
Course coordinator: Prof. Christoffer Norberg, Christoffer.Norberg@energy.lth.se
Course homepage: http://www.energy.lth.se
Further information: Tutorials, 20 hours, group-wise.