VTTF01, 7,5 credits, G2 (First Cycle)
Valid for: 2013/14
Decided by: Education Board D
Date of Decision: 2013-04-19
Main field: Technology.
Compulsory for: V3
Elective for: L4
Language of instruction: The course will be given in Swedish
The aim of the course is that the students should develop
- The interaction between the development of the society and
- The driving forces in transportation.
- Variables affecting the effects of transportation.
Knowledge and understanding
For a passing grade the student must
- Have knowledge about how the transport system can contribute to
a sustainable development
- Have knowledge about the historical development of
transportation and the driving forces in this development,
- Understand the role of freight and personal transport for the
commercial sector, for various public functions and in our everyday
- Be able to account for the political transport objectives
- Be able to describe the connection between variables affecting
the generation of traffic such as localization of industry and
- Understand how models are used to make traffic forecasts,
- Understand different planning principles,
- Have knowledge about different groups of road users needs and
- Have knowledge about different transport modes and their
Competences and skills
For a passing grade the student must
- Be able to apply traffic engineering methods for, among other
things, calculating the demand for personal transport with
different transportation modes under different basic
- Be able to analyse the effects different changes can have on
- Be able to analyse traffic data and suggest suitable measures
to solve elemental problems in traffic
The course contains the following themes:
- A sustainable transport system: What does sustainability imply
within the transportation sector and how can one aim for a
sustainable transport system?
- Development of traffic: How has personal transportation and
freight changed throughout history, what is the situation like
today and how do we expect it to change in the future under
- Planning principles: An overview of the different principles
and ideals that have characterized the urban planning in Sweden, in
particular the traffic planning.
- Prognosis models on different levels
- The political objectives in transportation and the planning
process. How is the distribution of resources done and how does the
planning process for an infrastructure project work?
- Transport modes: Planning conditions for car, bus, cycling and
walking. How do the different modes differ from each other in a
planning perspective for example when it comes to capacity and
- Traffic safety
- Accessibility for road users with special needs.
Within these themes several assignments are made with oral as
well as written presentation. Teachers give oral and written
feedback. Field studies with supervision from teachers are carried
out as a part of the assignments.
Grading scale: TH
Assessment: Examination and passing grade in written exercises.
The number of participants is limited to: No
The course overlaps following course/s: VTT100, VTT131, VTVF05
- Christer Hydén (red): Trafiken i den hållbara staden. Studentlitteratur, 2008, ISBN: 978-91-44-05301-1.
- Göran Cars, Bo Malmsten, Patrik Tornberg: Bana väg för infrastruktur. KTH, 2009, ISBN: 978-91-7415-233-3. Is beeing sold by the course teachers.
Contact and other information
Examinator: Andreas Persson, Andreas.Persson@tft.lth.se
Course coordinator: Andreas Persson, Andreas-Persson@tft.lth.se
Teacher: Anders Wretstrand, Anders.Wretstrand@tft.lth.se
Course homepage: http://www.tft.lth.se/utbildning/grundutbildning
Further information: The course contains lectures and a number of project assignments in small groups. Oral and writen feedback is given on the assignments. Field work under supervision is done.