Valid for: 2012/13
Decided by: Education Board 3
Date of Decision: 2012-04-13
Compulsory for: KID3
Language of instruction: The course will be given in English
The course aims to provide the students with basic knowledge and understanding of specific business management terminology, the entrepreneurial and business context of design activities and clarify the relationships between the design process, the design company's business concept and the cash flows.
Knowledge and understanding
For a passing grade the student must
- Have knowledge of basic concepts and aspects of business planning.
- Understand the link between the design process, its methods and the potential for design activities to develop good relations with customers and other stakeholders in the company´s environment.
- Understand the role of the designer in a company and how to effectively contribute to profit-making activities, i.e. through a better understanding of the relationship between costs and revenues for both individual projects and activities in general.
- Have a basic understanding of the principles of entrepreneurship.
- Have some insight into problems of agreements between client companies and designers.
- Be aware of different opportunities available to seek external assistance for start-ups and entrepreneurs.
- Be acquainted with some of the basics of branding, have a basic understanding of how these relate to the design process, and have the opportunity to apply this approach to a design project.
The course focuses mainly on entrepreneurial issues related to small design companies. This is discussed from different perspectives with the help of guests, group exercises and literature.
Grading scale: UG
Assessment: The grades given are based on fulfilment of the 80% minimum attendance requirement and on active participation in the group assignment.
The number of participants is limited to: No
The course overlaps following course/s: IDEN30