Syllabus academic year 2011/2012
(Created 2011-09-01.)
Credits: 15. Grading scale: TH. Cycle: G2 (First Cycle). Main field: Technology. Language of instruction: The course will be given in Swedish. VTVF10 overlaps following cours/es: ??2129 and VVB027. Compulsory for: IBYV3. Optional for: V4at, V4tv. Course coordinator: Zsuzsanna Toth-Szabo, and Ebrahim.Parhamifar,, Traffic and Roads. Recommended prerequisits: VVBF20 Road Construction or VTVA45 Road and Railway Engineering. Assessment: Course credits are awarded on the basis of a smaller exam comprising the rules and regulations (Vära och Gators Utformning) issued by the National Road Administration, written and oral descriptions of the project and a written home assignment. The exam is conducted through collaborative group testing. The project work is awarded 80 percent of the credits while the home assignment accounts for the remaining 20 percent. Parts: 2. Further information: The course is offered in Lund. Home page:

The aim of the course is to provide students with the ability to use methodology in highway and railway planning and design. It is also intended to give them in-depth knowledge of the geometric design of roads, with the focus on methods, models, quality of basic data and teaching/learning aids

Knowledge and understanding
For a passing grade the student must

Skills and abilities
For a passing grade the student must

Judgement and approach
For a passing grade the student must

Compile and evaluate relevant information, in a sustainable way, from different disciplins, with different perspectives while designing road alignment.

The course is composed of two connected subject areas - highway and traffic engineering. A road project in rural area is followed from its conception to final design, requiring students to study the principles and basics of the prevailing regulations and guidelines for geometric and thickness design of roads and railways, including analysis of horizontal and vertical alignment from a road user perspective. Further requirements are emphasis on adapting the road to the terrain, formulating an analytical method for elements in the landscape and designing different types of intersections. Computer aids are used to describe prerequisites for the project and to design the road alignment. The consequences of the road for both environment and community are studied.

Parts of Vägar och Gators Utformning (Roads and streets design), VGU
Lecture notes


Code: 0110. Name: Highway and Railway Design.
Higher education credits: 12. Grading scale: TH. Assessment: Written and oral prsentation of project work i small groups. Max tre studentes per group.

Code: 0210. Name: Home Examination.
Higher education credits: 3. Grading scale: TH. Assessment: Home exam from VGU.