Syllabus academic year 2010/2011
Grading scale: TH.
Main field: Technology.
Language of instruction: The course will be given in Swedish.
Compulsory for: B1.
Course coordinator: Professor Leif Bülow, Professor Per-Olof Larsson, firstname.lastname@example.org, Pure and Applied Biochemistry.
Assessment: Written examination.
Home page: http://www.tbiokem.lth.se/Homepage/Kursen/KBKA01.html.
|INTRODUCTION TO BIOCHEMISTRY||KBKA01|
The aim of the course is to:
- Give basic knowledge about proteins, enzymes and genes
- Describe the possibilities of modern gene technology
- Introduce some future subjects within the study program
Knowledge and understanding
For a passing grade the student must
- Be able to describe the structure of proteins and its importance for function
- Be able to describe and explain the way enzymes work
- Be able to describe the structure of genes and their expression
Protein structure and function with hemoglobin as specific example
Enzyme properties with chymotrypsin as specific example
Gene structure and function and protein synthesis
Future subjects within the study program is described in the form of inspiration lectures
Berg, J.M, Tymoczko, J.L and Stryer, L.: Biochemistry, W.H. Freeman & Co, San Fransisco 2007, ISBN:0-7167-8724-5