Syllabus academic year 2010/2011
Grading scale: TH.
Main field: Technology.
Language of instruction: The course will be given in Swedish.
IDEA35 overlaps following cours/es: IDE180.
Compulsory for: MD2.
Course coordinator: Senior lecturer Karl-Axel Andersson, Karl-Axel.Andersson@design.lth.se, Industrial Design.
Assessment: The grades awarded range from 5 to 3 wherein 3 equals "passed", depending on participation and completion of exercises.
Home page: http://www.industridesign.lth.se.
The aim of the course is to practice the essential techniques for the design process and the ability to be able to present a design concept. The aim is furthermore to give a firm understanding for the relation shape/technique/material on the basis of a contemporary industrial design context.
Knowledge and understanding
For a passing grade the student must
- Present a design concept of a smaller product with the aid of accomplished sketches done on free-hand and the assistance of 2D-techniques.
- With a certain amount of guidance build a compound model of presentation regarding corresponding design concept including graphic art of products. The precision corresponds to some 1/10 mm.
- The course starts with a general review of modern industrial design history.
- Sketching and 2D techniques are introduced and practiced.
- The training in engineering workshop is increased with special techniques for model building. Graphical design is introduced and trained with the emphasis on production graphic.
- After general reviews of theory and knowledge the course is based on the training of the student on its own of different stages in the operation under guidance.
Wim Muller: Order and meaning in Design, Lemma, ISBN 90 5189 6298
Andersson, N: Skissteknik. En Handbok i visualisering av designförslag, Umeå
Andersson, N: Perspektivlära, Umeå