Syllabus academic year 2009/2010
(Created 2009-08-11.)

Higher education credits: 12. Grading scale: TH. Level: A (Second level). Language of instruction: The course might be given in English. VVB027 overlap following cours/es: VTVF10, VVB026, VTVF10, VVB026, VTVF10, VVB026, VTVF10 och VVB026. Optional for: V4at, V4tp. Course coordinator: Ebrahim Parhamifar,, Vägbyggnad. Prerequisites: VBB055 Anläggningsteknik. Recommended prerequisits: VVB090 Infrastruktursystem. The course might be cancelled if the numer of applicants is less than 5. The number of participants is limited to 45 Assessment: Course credits are awarded on the basis of a smaller exam comprising the rules and regulations (VGU) issued by the National Road Administration, written and oral descriptions of the project and a written home assignment. The exam is conducted through collaborative group testing. The project work is awarded 80 percent of the credits while the home assignment accounts for the remaining 20 percent. Participation in field exercises (2 days). Parts: 2. Further information: Project work is used through out the course. The course might be given in English. Home page:

The aim of the course is to provide students with the ability to use methodology in highway and railway planning and design. It is also intended to give them in-depth knowledge of the geometric design of roads, with the focus on methods, models, quality of basic data and teaching/learning aids

Knowledge and understanding
For a passing grade the student must

Skills and abilities
For a passing grade the student must

Judgement and approach
For a passing grade the student must

Compile and evaluate relevant information, in a sustainable way, from different disciplins, with different perspectives while designing road alignment

The course is composed of two connected subject areas - highway and traffic engineering. A road project in rural area is followed from its conception to final design, requiring students to study the principles and basics of the prevailing regulations and guidelines for geometric and thickness design of roads and railways, including analysis of horizontal and vertical alignment from a road user perspective. Further requirements are emphasis on adapting the road to the terrain, formulating an analytical method for elements in the landscape and designing different types of intersections. Computer aids are used to describe prerequisites for the project and to design the road alignment. The consequences of the road for both environment and community are studied.

Berntman M., Parhamifar E., course material in highway engineering, LTH 2003
course material in traffic engineering
Project guide


Code: 0105. Name: Project Work.
Higher education credits: 9. Grading scale: TH. Assessment: Skriftlig och muntlig redovisning av projektarbete.

Code: 0205. Name: Take-home Examination.
Higher education credits: 3. Grading scale: TH. Assessment: Skriftlig hemtentamen.