Syllabus academic year 2009/2010
(Created 2009-08-11.)

Higher education credits: 15. Grading scale: TH. Level: G2 (First level). Language of instruction: The course will be given in Swedish. VTVF10 overlap following cours/es: VVB027, VVB027, VVB027 och VVB027. Compulsory for: IBYV3. Course coordinator: Ebrahim Parhamifar,, Vägbyggnad. Recommended prerequisits: Road and railway engineering VTVA20. Assessment: Course credits are awarded on the basis of a smaller exam comprising the rules and regulations (VGU) issued by the National Road Administration, written and oral descriptions of the project and a written home assignment. The exam is conducted through collaborative group testing. The project work is awarded 80 percent of the credits while the home assignment accounts for the remaining 20 percent. Further information: The course might be given in English. The course is offered in Lund.

The aim of the course is to provide students with the ability to use methodology in highway and railway planning and design. It is also intended to give them in-depth knowledge of the geometric design of roads, with the focus on methods, models, quality of basic data and teaching/learning aids

Knowledge and understanding
For a passing grade the student must

Identify demands of road users in terms of geometric road design.

Understand the interplay between horisontal and vertical alignement and its effects.

Describe the environmental effects that may arise as a result of locating roads and railways in the landscape.

Skills and abilities
For a passing grade the student must

Design a road delineation using Swedish standards, with due consideration to road users’ needs and the prerequisites of the landscape.

Be able to use a road design methodology.

Present and argue for road delineation and justify it with drawings of plans, profiles, cross and normal sections.

Judgement and approach
For a passing grade the student must

Compile and evaluate relevant information, in a sustainable way, from different disciplins, with different perspectives while designing road alignment.

The course is composed of two connected subject areas - highway and traffic engineering. A road project in rural area is followed from its conception to final design, requiring students to study the principles and basics of the prevailing regulations and guidelines for geometric and thickness design of roads and railways, including analysis of horizontal and vertical alignment from a road user perspective. Further requirements are emphasis on adapting the road to the terrain, formulating an analytical method for elements in the landscape and designing different types of intersections. Computer aids are used to describe prerequisites for the project and to design the road alignment. The consequences of the road for both environment and community are studied.

Lecture notes